Saturday, March 22, 2014

A Tale of Two Cities: Part I

I was accepted into the PhD in Business Administration program (strategy group) at both Washington University and Duke. So this last Thursday I flew out to St. Louis to meet with faculty members, check out the campus, and see the city. I have to say that St. Louis might be one of the most underrated cities in the U.S. Favorite aspects of St. Louis:
  • Forest Park, right across the street from campus. This place is 1,300 acres, 500 larger than Central Park in New York. It has a free zoo in it! 
  • The arch, see the last picture.
  • The architecture. At least from what I saw around campus, there are a lot of old mansions that have a lot of character. 
  • The Cardinals. I am not a huge MLB fan, but I could be. 
  • The Mississippi River. I don't know why, but being right by the Mississippi feels important. 

The campus was beautiful, as you can see in the pictures. I felt like the faculty would be great people to work with, and they current students were nice. Wash U just built a ginormous new business building as well, which could be nice to work in. 

I am flying to North Carolina next week to check out Duke, at which point you will get Part II. I will have a couple of weeks to make a decision after that. Depending on how things go at Duke, it could be a close call. I imagine both could be great places. 








1 comment:

Big Bopper said...

Well, I'm impressed. Very nice looking campus, and I guess if you can't live by the SF Giants then the Cardinals are not a bad second choice.

But then there's Duke. . . Looks like you had fun.